2 Sept 2016

Boots’ Contemplative thoughts


So, GearBlast:UK.  This monster of an event that actually only exists because I was stuck for something to put my energy into one time when I was unemployed.  Now though I have a full time job and I’m definitely not alone in this venture.
2009 burnt me out and I don’t try to hide that.  We came back in 2014 with a lot of the same crew that helped put it together back in 2009, but with a different venue and a better idea of what we were doing.
I firstly want to explain the reason for the follow up blog.  I wanted to give personal thanks and to show my heart to all who want to read this.



I was tasked to do this in the first place by one of my closest friends, playmates and true kindred spirit RocketPup/ScubaCCS.  He created and coined the name ‘GearBlast’ a decade ago.  Then back in 2008 he was so impressed with my ability to host a Hallowe’en party he asked me to host a GearBlast unlike any that went before it.  So it’s down to him for giving me this purpose.
After the first event, it could have all ended there, but for one man.  Rubbiker77.  He wanted me to come back into the fold after he had been the driving force behind subsequent GearBlast:EU events during our gap.  This was the essential spark which drove the last three main events in the UK and I deeply thank him for this, he gave me the motivation to rejoin this wonderful enterprise.
Throughout all the events my husband ZX6Rlad/Colin has been my rock, he has without a doubt taken on the most responsibility from my shoulders and just ran with it.  Taking on more and more each year, the tasks that I can’t juggle, especially with regards to promoting GearBlast.  I love you with all my heart.
Another long suffering partner in this venture is Rubbot/Rubbah/Jules whom I met for the first time when he offered to help handing out promotional leaflets for the 2009 event.  He’s been a close friend ever since and he’s always pushing me to do better.  I call him my safety net for a few reasons, he word checks the torrent of words I put out there; says the stupid things on purpose because he knows what the internet is like (so I don’t have to suffer the embarrassment of having to correct typos and stupid statements) (he’s not editing this btw, totally unfiltered!) but most of all because he’s always there to support and catch me when the stress levels rise.  He’s one of the few who can diffuse an imminent explosion.  So for being protection personified, Jules you are a saint and I hope you’re always a part of my life.
More recently several good friends have offered support in various forms; Devilkink for some great ideas which have made GearBlast a richer, more complex animal, Xanto for just being a lively puppy who is always willing to help out and be so constructive and supportive (plus along with Devilkink and Rubbah collated the tunes for the night)!  Gizmoes for his experience in running events and setting up graphic identity plus his expertise in merchandising (and his patience, generosity, cake making skills, photography and (along with Trigger) for lugging so much of our crap around!!)
All the staff provided great feedback on the run up to the event and for helping to set up and just getting shit done!!!
I also want to acknowledge Andy Rossi of PupSocial who, although he wasn’t able to join us this year, was extremely supportive during setup and for allowing us to use their lighting and a few other bits.
My final (phew!) thanks are to everyone who either attended, wanted to attend or who helped to spread the word about our event.
The kind words post-weekend are what makes this all worthwhile.  I’d like to collate all the feedback for reference to remind me of why we/I do this, though it would be even better if I can share those thoughts/reviews with everyone in the world.
I’m proud to be part of this and I’m proud of every single person who made the effort to come along, get in gear and just enjoy themselves.
What I am going to summarise with is the joining force that unites us. It is the common denominator in all that we do, and that my friends is ‘GearHeart’ is it the heart for gear, the passion for gear, loving every aspect of gear and enjoying with others of a like-minded passion.
Next year and future events will be about the #GearHeart starting with a contest.  Anyone is welcome to participate, we want to see something creative which is a visual representation of the ‘GearHeart’ it can be a logo, photo, photo manipulation, video, drawing…anything as long as it is original artwork. 
The best entry will be used in the promotional material for GearBlast:UK 2017 and possibly even for all GearBlast Events.
We also want you to use the hashtag #GearHeart (Twitter, FaceBook, Tumblr, et al) when you recognise the creative use or expression of gear, be that artwork (photography, drawn, sculpted), created costumes, modifications, stories, poems, anything which truly reflects what it is to have the GearHeart.  I honestly think GearBlast is summed up best by these two words and I hope it becomes intrinsically linked to GearBlast.
Thank you for reading my ramblings, please feel free to react here or on FaceBook, I do love to hear your reactions!
Peace, love and gearhugs!!
~Boots

No comments:

Post a Comment